Tammerlin at Jefferson Elementary
Tammerlin promotes educational and cultural outreach programs for not-for-profit, government and community groups such as K-12, college groups, senior centers and more. Tammerlin has been a member artist of the Florida State Touring Program since 1997. The Florida State Touring Program is a grant supported program for presenters and performing artists in the state of Florida. It is sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Since 1992, Lee Hunter and Arvid Smith have been placing their own stamp on folk/roots music. Exceptional guitar work accompanies well-crafted original songs and traditional tunes pulled from the heart of American music-a little bit pop, country, old time, British Isles and blues-with some world music flavorings. Tammerlin’s style reflects the diverse background of each member and their great interest in all kinds of music, but the centerpiece is always the stories that connect us all.
Tammerlin has performed at Piccolo Spoleto, The Kennedy Center, the Smithsonian Institute and numerous music festivals and concert series throughout the country and in Europe. With a sound that is a step off the well-beaten path, Tammerlin’s concerts and six CD recordings have received much critical acclaim and radio airplay worldwide
“Old Roads, New Turns- Living Folk Culture”
Workshops and Concerts for K-College and Community Groups
What is the “Old Roads/New Turns” workshop?
Arvid Smith and Lee Hunter, Tammerlin, approach their folk culture workshop from a number of directions, engaging participants in not only the music itself, but the stories behind the music, connecting them to our contemporary experiences. Traditional and modern folk songs reflect shared ideas and memories that are important to our communities. This music is a living tradition that connects us all. Arvid and Lee emphasize the value of music and stories in helping us to understand and appreciate one another, our history and culture. They encourage participants to express their own stories. The workshops can be tailored to the needs of the instructor, the age group of the participants, and the size of the group. Tammerlin’s presentations are suitable for small settings or for large gatherings, and can address specific areas of the curriculum as needed.
And the concert?
In concert, Tammerlin presents a unique interpretation of traditional folk songs, as well as their own compositions inspired by these styles, creating a swirling tapestry of music that has received critical acclaim across the US and Europe and has charmed audiences of all ages. Innovative guitarist, Arvid Smith provides the fretwork, creating the sonic backdrop for Lee Hunter’s clear voice. The sound is often filled out with additional players on mandolin, fiddle, bass and drums. Together, they create something magical that is both grounded in the past and looking firmly toward the future.
Holiday Concert - "WinterSong"
Wintersong is a beautiful and unusual holiday program of ancient and modern carols, poems, readings and songs to fit the season. Wintersong is suitable for all ages and venues. The Arts Council of Greater Palatka has this to say about Wintersong:
- Festival Sace, Sace, France
- The Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC
- Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Millennium Stage
- Piccolo Spoleto, Charleston, SC
- North Charleston Arts Festival, SC
- Swallow Hill Music Association, Denver, CO
- Bele Chere Festival, Asheville, NC
- Habersham Theatre, Clarkesville, GA
- Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts, State College, PA
- Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
- Snug Harbor Concert Series, Staten Island, NY
- Florida Folk Festival, White Springs, FL
- Suwannee Springfest, Live Oak, FL
- Gamble Rogers Folk Festival, St. Augustine, FL
- Pensacola Springfest, Pensacola, FL
- Fiddle & Bow Society, Winston-Salem, NC
- Residency, Putnam County Schools, FL
- Residency Columbia, Suwannee & Hamilton Counties, Fl
- Transylvania County Arts Council, Brevard, NC
- Ninety-Six High School, Ninety-Six, SC
- Chapman High School, Inman, SC
- Residency-Elementary Schools-Pinellas County, FL
- CANVAS Project, Jacksonville Cultural Council-3-week intensive songwriting instruction for at-risk youth
- Florida School for the Deaf & Blind, St. Augustine, FL-songwriting workshop
- Florida Community College at Jacksonville/Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts-music infusion workshop for elementary school teachers, 1999
- First Night Charleston, Charleston, SC
- Cultural Arts Council, East Greenwich, RI
- Clearwater Folk Festival, Clearwater, FL
- Lake Wales Arts Center, Lake Wales, FL
- Monticello Opera House, Monticello, FL-residency and performance
- Atlantic Beach First Night Celebration, Atlantic Beach, FL
- Wesleyan College, Macon, GA
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Newberry College Fine Arts Series, Newberry, SC
- University of the South, Sewannee, TN
- The Hiddenite Center, Hiddenite, NC
- Theatre Jacksonville-song writing workshops for summer theater camp
- Baton Rouge Folk Society, Baton Rouge, LA
- Blackhawk Folk Society, Appleton, WI
- Advent Arts Acoustic Series, Conway, AR
- Two Way Street Folk Series, Chicago, IL
- Natick Center for the Arts, Boston, MA
- U. of Indiana East, Richmond, IN, Fine Arts Series
- U. of Tennessee, Martin, TN
- Bloomsberg University, PA
Presenters outside of Florida interested in the Educational and Cultural Outreach Programming; please contact Lee Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your programming. We can assist you in your grant process, if needed.
Florida Presenters: If you are a not-for-profit organization, an arts council, school or government entity, you are eligible to apply for a Tammerlin performance through the Florida State Tour Program. Please visit the link on the left to learn more about the Tour Program. Funding priority is given to underpopulated counties and they can request up to two thirds of the artist fee. All other applicants may request up to 1/3 (one-third) of the artist fee. If you are interested in applying for this funding, please contact Lee Hunter at email@example.com. We will be happy to help you through the very simple application process.
Other Florida presenters, please contact Lee Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your programming needs.